The BMMRO’s brilliant new charting the progress of mother Rita and calf Georgie after their release (and showing wonderful pictures) is becoming addictive. How far have they ventured this week? Are there any more out there?
- Rita & Georgie are beginning to attract a bit of a following
- During the week their confidence grew and they undertook a longer expedition (see map below)
- During their travels they were joined by 2 other manatees, first a juvenile male, then an adult male
- Rita’s tag became disconnected. It was retrieved, the data downloaded, and it was successfully reattached
- Audio recordings were made of underwater manatee communication
- At one stage there were six manatees seen together, with manatees Gina and JJ joining the 4 others
Rita nurses Georgie
WEEK 2 ADVENTURES
A far more complicated pattern than the simple explorations in WEEK 1
- Continued careful monitoring of more complex (= braver) exploration
- A great deal of local interest generated.
- A ’Save the Manatee’ campaign started
- Presentations for groups of school students, including involving them in actual monitoring.
- The juvenile male has stayed with Rita and Georgie.