GLIMPSES OF LIFE ALONG A CORAL REEF by F. H. HERRICK
This post is aimed at those with a particular interest in the flora and fauna – especially avifauna – of Abaco and its Cays. It is a naturalist’s account from 1886 of an expedition to Abaco, interspersed with a few line drawings. It’s an easy read if you are interested in Abaco, its history, and the state of natural life on the islands 125 years ago. Those who have come to this site for the photos and / or even the occasional jest are warned to expect neither. However, to tempt waverers I’ll highlight below (by way of a quiz) some intriguing aspects of the 9-page article. I have had to edit it to correct the many ‘literals’ in the open-source material; however the c19 spellings are retained. I’ve also added coloured subject-matter codes as follows: PLACE NAMES; BIRDS; PLANTS; FISH; CREATURES
In 1886, Herrick visited Abaco with a party of naturalists. This trip predated by 3 years the publication of Charles Cory’s groundbreaking ‘Birds of the West Indies‘. There would have been scant readily-available published material about the natural history of the Bahamas, let alone of Abaco itself. Herrick and a friend left the main party and went on their own wider explorations of Abaco with two local guides. Herrick recorded their findings, which were subsequently published in ‘Popular Science Monthly‘ in 1888. In Herrick’s wide-ranging account of the adventure you will find the answers to the following 15 questions. If any one of them whets your appetite to read this historic account, press the link below the quiz!
- What fruit might you have found growing in fields on Abaco in 1886?
- What was the local name for the perforated rock at Hole-in-the-Wall?
- What is an “egg-bird”?
- What was causing “the gradual extermination” of flamingos?
- What were “shanks” and “strikers”?
- To what human use were Wilson’s Terns put?
- How many eggs does a tropic-bird lay?
- What law prevented the shooting of tropic-birds, and indeed any other bird, by naturalists?
- What sort of creature is a “sennet”?
- Which was rated the better for eating – grouper or ‘barracouta’ (sic)?
- Who or what is or are “grains”?
- What common creature had a burning touch like a sharp needle?
- What bird was reckoned to have the call ‘loarhle-ee’ ?
- What – or indeed who – was described as a “pilepedick”?
- What creature laid 139 eggs?